After all this time, I am happy to say my stained glass project is finally finished! It took longer than expected, since I created my own design. Many pieces had to be recut in order to fit correctly. Not only that, but the stained glass supplier has been closed due to the current situation and I was not able to purchase fresh foil and solder. I made an order at the beginning of April and patiently waited for my delivery but by the end of April and no delivery, I cancelled the order. The Hobby Lobby stores are all closed as well, so that was a no go for purchasing fresh supplies. I ran out of solder just as I was almost finished, and luckily had saved a bunch of solder bits from the last time I created a piece. It was just enough to finish this project!
Here’s where I left off when last I posted about the project. The pieces are all cut and ready to be foiled in this image:
Here’s the finished project as seen through a window:
And this is where the stained glass art piece now lives, in my greenhouse. I like it so much even though there are some mistakes, like the sun ray line being a bit off in the second panel. The piece adds a bit of whimsy to an already happy place. It was a lot of work but well worth the effort!
Below is a short video of the foiling process. I apologize for forgetting to show you the soldering process. I will try to remember to share that next time I make a bit of stained glass art.
Thanks for stopping by! Until we meet again, much Love ~ Rhonda
In my previous post I shared the stained glass panel I’ve been working on and promised to share the progress. It’s tedious and slow going but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.
The drawing had to be scaled down from the original pattern because I realized I originally drew it to the size of the opening and forgot to subtract for the frame measurement! Geez. So in scaling down the project I was inadvertently left with smaller hard to cut pieces. I’ve cut and recut many pieces over and over. But it’s finally coming together.
After I finish fitting the right side panel it will be time to add the copper foil to each piece. That will be very time consuming because there’s 68 pieces or more and some are tiny! Oh joy. But the end product will be worth it and it’s going to look great in our greenhouse! Next post I will share the copper foiling.
I hope you are staying healthy and you are finding things to keep you busy during our stay indoors. These are tough times but we will prevail! Much Love ~ Rhonda
Spring is around the corner, and I’m waiting patiently for the weather to warm up. It’s still cold, cloudy and rainy even though we’ve had glimpses of warmer temps. Last week we had a blue sky day where it warmed up to the low 60’s! But then sadly, the next day the temps dropped back into the high 40’s. My poor roses don’t know what to do with the up and down weather. The tulips and daffodils are making a valiant effort to come up. Spring will be here soon enough, I just have to wait patiently.
In the meantime, I’ve been working on a stained glass panel for my greenhouse. It’s a means of creative outlet, while the painting muse is on vacation. She’s left me high and dry for six months now! Where the heck is she?
The stained glass triptych panel will be installed in an opening in the greenhouse that is about 21″ wide by 9″ tall. Here’s my plan:
There will be three sections in one panel. The left has the sun, the middle has a hummingbird, and the right will be the mountains and our lake.
I’m using layout blocks to keep the design straight.
After cutting out all my pieces, which took me three days, it was time to do the layout and grinding of glass. Grinding the glass and fitting the pieces is like a puzzle. I love this part, minus the cuts on my fingers. Here’s a little video of grinding a piece of glass:
Fitting the sun design was pretty easy. Now I’m working on the hummingbird and that is proving to be a challenge!
Here’s where I’m at so far. I’m pretty excited to see the outcome. Creating this stained glass triptych is a tedious but enjoyable process. I hope by doing this little pivot in creativity, it makes my painting muse jealous and she comes back. If this doesn’t work, then I’m moving on to pastels. Look out muse!
I’ll share my progress in the next few posts. I hope to finish soon because next I’ll be busy planting seeds and getting the beds ready for the veggie garden.
Thanks for stopping by. If you have any feedback, chat with me in the comment section below! Much love ~ Rhonda
Success! You're on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn't process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.
“In art, intentions have no place; only results. In good art, the results do not have to be explained. As a matter of fact, there is but one kind of art and that is good art. There is no comfortable halfway station; it is either fine, or it is not art.”
John F. Carlson “Carslon’s Guide to Landscape Painting”
Oil Painting Categories
I do not use ads on my site, so you may browse without annoying interruptions. You can help the bottom line with a small donation to keep this site ad free! Simply buy me a cuppa so I can continue to bring you new content!